The best guide to academic essay writingThe ability to write a good essay is a key skill to master if you want to succeed in college. Academic essay writing is an extremely common type of writing. Essays play an important role in developing writing skills and critical thinking. They present an opportunity for you to express your ideas and opinions on a topic of interest to you. If you are asked to write an essay, it is crucial to understand what a reader of academic English expects. Academic essays should be written in a formal style. That’s why you should try to avoid:
- - Contractions (doesn’t, it’s, we’re);
- - Subjective descriptions (this beautiful sculpture); and
- - Phrases that sound like a speech. (Well, this bit is really fascinating.)
General tips on academic essay writing
- - Use the first person “I” only when appropriate. Where possible, use third person.
- - Use plain language. Try to choose clear and accurate expressions for ideas. Also notice that shorter sentences are usually clearer than long, complex ones.
- - Develop clear, concise paragraphs.
- - Write a conclusion that pulls together the threads of your essay.
- - Use language effectively and construct good sentences.
- - Include relevant information to ensure that you answer the question which has been established.
- - Include citations, references, and a bibliography.